Asparagus-Daikon Kidney Detox Subji-AyurvedaApr 20, 2022
Asparagus-Daikon Kidney Detox Subji
This is a ayurvedic simple and delicious veggie dish combining two detox veggies for the kidneys - asparagus & daikon radish. It's perfect for spring or anytime your body is feeling bogged down and heavy. It will provide a gentle flush through the kidneys which makes it great in spring season when the bodily waters are naturally in detox-mode. This dish goes great with kitchari or chapati or rasam
- 1 bunch asparagus – cut into 1” diagonal pieces
- 2 small daikon radishes (the smaller in diameter the better, less than 2" in diameter is best otherwise the bigger daikon can become more tridoshically imbalancing. Note: if you cannot find small daikon, you can substitute with icicle radishes) – peeled and diced into small cubes 1” across or grated (your choice)
- 1-2 Tbs ghee
- 2 Tbs cumin seeds
- 1 pinch turmeric
- ½ tsp kalonji seeds
- 3 twigs worth of curry leaves chopped (if you've got 'em)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste (approx.. ½ tsp)
- Optional garnish: 1 Tbs fresh chopped ginger, few Tbs each fresh chopped parsley & cilantro
- Juice of ½-1 lime to taste (garnish for taste and digestibility)
- Chop veges
- Heat ghee in skillet
- Add spices in above order starting with cumin seeds, etc.
- saute 1-2 minutes until aromatic
- add veges and ¼ c water
- cover and cook on medium until veges are cooked and asparagus is still gorgeous crisp green and al dente (not soggy), add more water as needed
- Remove from pan and stir in salt and garnishes
* Disclaimer: as always, consult your physician or primary care practitioner before beginning a new diet and doing any detox protocols or eating any detox foods. The information provided here is not intended as medical advice nor to replace professional medical advice.
Written By: Traci Webb director of the Ayurvedic Living School in Northern California.