Tapioca Kitchari Recipe - Ayurveda Sabudana Kitchari RecipeMay 13, 2022
Ayurveda Sabudana Kitchari
Tapioca is the root starch of the cassava plant of South America. It is a grain free, wheat free substitute for gluten sensitivity and for those fasting from grains for spiritual purposes. It has a binding property which makes it good for thickening sauces or as a flour replacement. It is used Ayurvedically to neutralize acidity ama and help assist its release from the body. It should be eaten regularly to neutralize and cleanse the system.
- 2 cups Sabudana (Tapioca pearls/sago – medium sized)
- ¼ cup Kala Chana (special small variety of garbanzo beans with black skin)
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Tbs chopped ginger root
- 10 chopped curry leaves
- 1 pinch hing
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 1.5 cups chopped zucchini
- 1-2 carrots peeled & chopped ½“ cubes
- 1 fennel bulb sliced thin
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp brown sugar or Sucanat
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup toasted almond slivers
- ¼ bunch cilantro de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- Night before: Wash tapioca pearls once to remove debris & soak covered with water for 30 minutes. Do not soak longer. Drain. Put them in a large bowl or pot so they have room to expand and cover with a wet paper towel. Put the lid on the pot and put in refrigerator overnight.
- Soak kala channa in 4 cups water overnight. They will swell to about ½ cups by morning.
- Day of: Take tapioca pearls out the refrigerator. Put into a strainer to remove any remaining water. Let them sit 20 minutes before adding to the recipe.
- Prepare and measure all ingredients.
- Drain and rinse the kala chana.
- Do not add or sprinkle water in this dish at any time.
- Melt ghee
- Add mustard seeds and wait until they pop.
- Add curry leaves, and ½ of ginger root.
- Cook on medium heat uncovered for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add kala chana and ¼ cup water, cook covered on medium-high for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots, fennel, fennel seeds and salt and Cook on medium heat covered for 5 more minutes, stirring once.
- Add tapioca pearls ½ cup at a time and stir in so they don’t stick together. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Watch the pearls go from white to translucent. May stick to bottom at this point. Don’t add water. Just scrape and stir.
- Add brown sugar or sucanat, almond slivers, cilantro and cucumber. Stir well and serve. Garnish with a squeeze of lime juice to each plate. Adding the lime juice to the pot of kitchari could make it all mushy, so just squeeze lime over eat plate as desired.
- To make this recipe reducing for pitta: Substitute fennel seeds for the mustard seeds.